View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 15:01

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Lightbulb Splenda: Splendid or not? My Experiment....

Hi SP'ers!

I'm conducting an experiment, which may be at the expense of some weight loss, possibly: I have recently been trying to read the many other LC books that are out there, even though I'm on Schwarzbein (and love it!). I still like to get as much info as possible. So, I picked up a copy of Atkins and am nearly through with it.

I noticed that he seems to plug Splenda a lot, and doesn't call it an artificial sweetener. Schwarzbein on the other hand does not like any sweeteners except stevia. Now, I am SUPER sensitve to AS like sacharrine and Equal, and I avoid them like the plague.

I tried stevia a little while ago and posted my experience in the SP forum. Basically, it didn't work for me b/c I couldn't really "taste" the sweet, only "sensed" it. Therefore, I figured I'd just go happily without.

Okay, fast forward to a week ago or so. I keep reading in Atkins new book about Splenda, then I read in this website a few threads about Splenda and see all those using it with no trouble, mostly. So I think to myself, "Self," I says, "Why don't you give Splenda a whirl in your tea, which is where I would really enjoy it?".

So, I buy a $3.50 box of the packets and try it in my herbal tea. Good stuff. Tastes sweet and like sugar, no aftertaste.

So why do I have this icky feeling that it's too good to be true?

So, my experiment that I started about 5 days ago is to use Splend in my tea and maybe in whipped cream for one month. I will record any and all things that may change in my weight, bloatedness, moods, cravings, etc.

The reason I am giving this one month is b/c I am woman and women have hormonal changes that can affect all of the above areas.

OBSERVATIONS SO FAR:
Now, maybe it's just a koinkidink, but I seem to be a little bloated after I have something with Splenda in it. And while I have not gained any weight, I am not losing either. My water intake has remained about 1 gallon a day, no more. My food has remained consistent.

So, I will be a guinea pig for those of you who have wondered about Splenda. Of course, YMMV.

(I also posted this verbatim in my journal where I will also post updates.)
Sponsored Links