View Single Post
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:31

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

I forgot about my post for a bit, and came back on to see how much I got beat up. I gotta work on being more controversial...

Tamarian, I'm not saying that one specific combination of foodstuffs fits all, the key is finding suitable low carb foods that each person enjoys and finds satiating. Every one of us DOES have the exact same biochemical processes going on. There are darned few biochemical pathways that you could do without and not exhibit some sort of severe disease symptoms. Of course there is some variation in the efficiency of the processes, due to enzyme variants/mutations. But all the feedback loops involved in these pathways, makes the levels of intermediates pretty consistent. Just looking at cholesterol for instance, levels are consistent enough to allow doctors to issue guidelines and make correlatoins to disease states. And of course you have the genetic variants who have outrageously high cholesterol without necessarily being at elevated risk of disease.

Now a second attempt to pick a fight. Ysabella, did you ever consider that low carb only caused your blood lipids to go the wrong way because you were mobilizing stored fat? And that your lipids would improve as you got to a lower weight? This is what my wife is seeing in her low carb efforts. Her thyroid hormone profile is slightly low (not diagnosed as hypoT but could be), and her weight loss has been slow. But she has lost, and her cholesterol is slowly coing down as well and her ratio is good. TGs are fantastic of course. I kept expecting her lipid profile to improve faster than it has, but it seems to be improving at the rate that her weight is coming down. Slow, but in the right direction.

Now a question: how do carbs affect hypothyroid condition? My wife doesn't seem to have had an adverse reaction to LCing. I think you may be confusing transient hypoglycemia with hypothyroidism. A lot of people experience symptoms of hypoglycemia when they start LC. Any time you perturb a biochemical system, it takes awhile to get back to a new steady state. The greater the perturbation, the longer and more severe the fluctuations, but always a new balance is acheived. Granted, hypoglycemia has some really unpleasant side effects. Which might be a reason to slowly wean yourself off carbs, but not necessarily a reason to eschew going to a lower level at all.

Hopefully this doesn';t come across as an attack, your thread is excellent and initial posts were highly entertaining. Excpet when you attacked those of us who write long posts, that truly hurt my feelings!