View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 17:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/175/130
BF:Ah, nuts
Progress: 58%
Default I'd love some advice

Normally, I'd take the time to read through all of this, but I'm in college and rather swamped with coursework, so I kind of need results and opinions more condensed.

I had blood work done (but NOT fasting cholesterol...no one told me I needed to fast beforehand then) before I started, but I couldn't tell you what the results were. Yesterday, I went in and got a repeat, and this time it included a fasting cholesterol level. They called back today, and I'm not worried, but I'm a little concerned.

They said it's OK, and did not recommend I go off the diet: my MD seems confident that continuing my diet will eventually lower my levels. THe numbers, as read to me by the nurse (on my answering machine, so I couldn't ask questions) were:
total cholesterol, 200
triglycerides, 352 (a little high, she said)
LDL, bad cholesterol, 95 (normal)
HDL, good cholesterol, 34, a little low

I want to know if there are ways I can make subtle changes in my diet to try to lower those bad levels and raise the HDL levels some more. Are there certain kinds of oils and fats I should eat more of? Certain kinds I should have less of? (I know you don't have my menu, but if you look in my journal, there's an entry in there about what I eat, but I'd even welcome any general information). Will getting more fiber help? What about veggies...are there any that are particularly useful for this (and still highish fiber)?

I appreciate all your help, and I apologise I haven't read all the other posts, which I'm sure you all have put great time and energy into. Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links