View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 09:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/148/135
BF:
Progress: 68%
Cool Hi..my first post

Hi all..I have been a lurker for a while and an Atkins fan for some time now. As far as the kidney stone issue and bone loss, the evidence is rather flimsy. From the study discussed:............"Based on blood and urine tests, researcher Chia-Ying Wang concludes that "there was an increased risk of developing kidney stones and a possible increase in the risk of bone loss." The findings are reported in the August American Journal of Kidney Diseases. "We think the diet's combination of low carbohydrates and high animal protein results in sufficient acid to increase the risk for certain kinds of kidney stones," she says.".................This opinion was based upon a study of 10 patients for two weeks on Atkins, hardly an indepth or adequate study to draw any conclusions. I am surprised the study was even published given this rather glaring weakness. Note that the researchers were unable to say that anyone actually developed a kidney stone, or osteoparosis, only that an extrapolation of their blook and urinary results MAY have created a predispositon. Much of the problem that we currently have in our explosion of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease is based upon extrapolation of what researchers think should happen rather than hard facts. We have strayed so far from evidence based medicine that I am embarrased. I am a physician, a board certified Ob-GYN., not something that I am especially proud of given the current sorry state of affairs. I do want you all to know that there are some medical people out there who are trying to take a hard look at actual evidence and fact. I do my best to educate my patients about the dangers of insulin resistance, and every day I see overweight women who "never eat any fat" and cannot understand why they have a BMI over 27. Good luck to all of you, and thank you all for all of the great research you post.