#12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
1. WEIGHT gain since last visit (Prozac, bp med?). Why?
Hmmm .. well, beta blockers (bisoprolol) are notorious for stalling weight loss, according to Atkins. They increase insulin resistance, and can cause fluid retention. The particular formula you took had a mild diuretic in it though (hydrochlorothiazide, or HCTZ). Prozac on the other hand, IS associated with significant weight gain. A small % of people lose weight, but most gain. 10 yrs ago, I was given Prozac to help my chronic fatigue (it helped all right .. I was bouncing off the ceiling, and insomniac) .. anyhooo, I gained 30+ lbs in less than 3 months. The dr. had the nerve to say the reason was "I was feeling better, therefore eating more"
Quote:
2. Stopped Prozac, gyn recommended Ativan instead. Thoughts?
Stopping Prozac is a good idea Some of the literature I've read shows that it can have effects on carbohydrate metabolism (in the liver) and even cause hypothyroidism. These effects aren't common, but still ...

Ativan (lorazepam) is related to Valium, and most helpful for anxiety. It has more sedative effect than Prozac, that's for sure! Best taken at night. The sedative/drowsy effect lessens after awhile, as your body adjusts. It's not associated with weight gain or fluid retention at all.
Quote:
3. Stopped your 1200 calorie diet. Continued to gain. On Atkins now since it worked 5 years ago. Thoughts?
Atkins should work again, as long as you do it to the letter. Might consider the suggestions about arachidonic acid from Protein Power too (in the fat of red meat and egg yolk). And do be sure to incorporate OWL and increased vegetables as you gradually work up to the higher carb levels. Fiber from vegetables (and low-glycemic fruits like berries and melon) are known to help with blood vessel health and lowered blood pressure. Plus the natural potassium they contain is beneficial. So many people stay below 20g carbs for so long ... which may or may not speed weight loss, but at the same time they're depriving their bodies the benefits of eating the best kinds of carbs.
Quote:
4. Still get occasional unknown bruising. Why? High bp?
We've had previous discussions about bruising, you might want to check 'em out:Hope this helps

Doreen