Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/256.5/165 Female 5'7"
BF:54%/44%/25%
Progress: 41%
Default About women's yeast infections and constipation

Hi Amber AA1,

Actually, I didn't have the yeast infection for two months solid, I had it two times each month--with my period and at ovulation.

My first was at age 16. They were chronic for many many years. The "pill" makes me much more susceptible, and for that reason, I no longer take it.

Yes, I still get them, but I find that a round with oral ketoconizol (sp?)helps keep them at bay for years at a time. But that is an extreme measure because it can be hard on the liver.

Yeast infections can be activated, if you are prone, by many things. Anything that suppresses your immune system (stress, steroids, other illnesses) can increase the likelyhood of them. Taking anti-biotics, the birth control pill, unusual hormonal fluxuations (which can be brought on by a radical change in diet, as well as stress), pregnancy, and eating either a diet high in carbs, or a lot of foods that tend to have high mold content either in or on them--such as cheese, mushrooms, breads, bacon. Preventing air circulation in the area (like wearing non-cotton underwear) or staying very moist (like wearing a damp bathing suit for many hours) can increase the likelihood of infections. Inadvertantly spreading the yeast (as well as other infectious bacteria like e. coli.) from anus to vagina is also common, thus the recommendation to always "wipe front to back." Some sexual practices can obviously do the same thing. (Sorry if that is too graphic. I don't know your age.)

It could have been a combination of several of these things that caused the infection.

In truth, yeast is a normal thing to have in your digestive tract. It's part of the natural "flora" and "fauna" that happily coexist in there, as well as in the vagina. It becomes an "infection" when the balance is disrupted and the yeast grows unchecked. Yeast lives on carbs, so eating high carbs can do it. There are friendly bacteria that grow there (acidophilus is the best known) that help maintain balance, so when you take antibiotics, good bacteria like acidophilus as well as the bad bacteria that you are taking the antibiotics for are wiped out and an imbalance is created. Likewise, if you eat large amounts of high mold-based and yeast containing foods, you are changing the balance.

Consider what you might be doing to create an imbalance. You can also buy acidophilus suppliments to help maintain this balance. I do this. I especially make a point of doing this during those hormonal fluctuation times, when I am sick or taking antibiotics, or when I am stressed out, or if I just "HAVE" to give in to a sugar craving.

The most potent type are the refridgerated capsules that also contain other friendly bacteria, and are usually only available in healthfood stores. Yogurt contains a lot of acidophilus, but it has to be sweetner free natural plain yogurt, and alone, that doesn't taste very good to me.

A lot of cheese can also cause constipation. I avoid this by taking sugar free Citrucel every morning. Some doctors recommend taking it at night. This has made all the difference for me as far as the constipation goes. Don't forget to eat plenty of those salad vegitables, a major source of natural fiber.

I honestly don't know if the candida is part of the cause of IBS. Most traditional doctors dismiss this idea, while more wholistic doctors insist on it.

All I know is that as long as I take my acidophilus, eat lots of veggies, take my Citrucel, and avoid carbs, my digestive and yeast problems settle down to an almost normal state.

I hope this has been helpful!

Sincerely,

kaelen