#6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 01:26

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigga1
The recipes in the atkins book is nasty. So I just decided to use another cook book. I kind of skimmed through the atkins book long time ago.
however, my boyfrined took me to "long horns" and I had a chili cheese fries with ranch dressing, that is when I messed up. But I didn't think one time would hurt, but I guess it did.

The problem I have with following Atkins or any diet, is that I'm a broke college student. And I would be spending lots of money buying food.

Many of the recipes I have found in LC cookbooks are for the maintenance stage.....either for the amount of carbs they contain or the types of foods that you progress to once you met your weight/health goals.

There ARE many LC recipes out there that are geared for the weight loss stage, but the best advice I received when I first started was to keep it basic and simple. Much more economical too. It doesn't take a "recipe" to put some chicken, steak, hamburger, shrimp, etc. on a plate with two servings of healthy, nutriant dense, LC approved carbs. There are plenty of spices and tasty good fats to keep your meat and veggies from tasting bland.

A cheat now and then probably wouldn't hurt you that bad later on, but in the beginning stages when you are trying to change your motab. and your body is going through carb withdrawals, it can prevent you from losing any weight.

It is really worth it to choose a plan and purchase the book for that plan -- the books aren't expensive. There is so much more with the LC lifestyle than just "low carb" in order to reap the weight/health benefits from it.

I'm on a tight budget too, and haven't found my grocery bill to be that much different. Definitely MUCH cheaper than eating out! I tend to go the store every few days to prevent spoiling/wasting my fresh food -- salad/lettuce is cheap, fresh veggies/fruit go a long way for the money considering the portions I am allowed. I buy family packs of meat, cook it in advance and refridgerate/freeze -- saves a lot of time and I always have a meal handy.

I haven't lost 60 pounds in 2.5 months which is what you stated is your goal.....but I DID lose 60 pounds in 5.5 months ;-). I've never seen a diet work as well as LCing does, both for the immediate health changes and the quick weight loss. I haven't even bothered to shop for new clothes yet cause I'm not staying in one size long enough to warrant it. Easier to just wait until I reach my goal weight.

This really DOES work, give it another try -- this time without even one binge and getting yourself a LC book. I'll bet you'll see a difference in your results
:-).