View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 17:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/178/175
BF:9%
Progress: 87%
Default I'm convinced, but...

I've been on Atkins 2 months now and lost the 20 lbs I wanted to lose. So I know it works but at the same time I don't understand how to reconcile this belief with an argument I see people bring up all the time that never seems to get answered.

Why does a 'traditional' Asian diet (and I'm speaking mainly Japanese to be specific) with lots of rice, relatively low fat content produce a slim, low cancer rate, low heart disease population. There are some exceptions like high rate of lung cancer from all the smoking but in large japanese just seem very healthy to me (althought again that is changing as the diet changes).

I've also done the 'Japanese' (macrobiotics) diet and it indeed did work. Much in the same way Atkins worked - quick painless weight loss and an improvement in energy levels. I've checked the glycemic indexes for brown rice (which I ate vs. white) and they are 'atrocious' under an Atkins diet. What gives?

Has anyone addressed this? One answer is they both work - Atkins and Ornish/Kushi (for lack of a better figurehead/s) both have approaches that are effective. Would like to hear people's opinions.
Sponsored Links