#8   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 07:51
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Scrummy:

You might want to post your specific questions about Armour availability as a separate thread in case people from the UK don't catch this post.

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't be looking at labs, but going by symptoms. If you're still feeling hypo, you need an increase. Increase until you feel better, right? It seems so logical, yet it's completely ignored by doctors. Who gives a flying leap what the lab says, especially when thyroid resistance is a concern. My labs show my T4 levels in the hyper range, but I don't feel hyper. It's a good thing my doc goes by symptoms, or I'd be yanked back on my meds.

Thyroid-S is also what is used in Canada as opposed to Armour. They are the same thing, natural dessicated thyroid. Your pharmacist is wrong, synthroid is synthetic, not a natural thing about it. Not to say that Synthroid isn't good, I'm someone who did better tolerating synthroid, but it's definately not natural.

Being that you are in the UK, I wonder what the process would be like to consult with Dr. Peatfield? Have you read his book? It's THE BEST book on thyroid I've read. Anyway, he does consults even though he can't prescribe. They threatened to take away his license b/c he went against the norm of TSH and synthroid (and God forbid, helped his patients).

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.baronsdownpublishing.com/book.htm