#3   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 16:53
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Scrummy:

Like Nancy, I'm only aware that people with one AI disease are prone to others. In that sense, HypoT and Lupus are related.

Quote:

I have had a period where I have been feeling really well, my blood test came back within normal ranges (although, only just) and I felt my dosage was almost right and then suddenly I ham exhausted again, the chronic hip pain is back and I feel so so cold.

If your labs are barely normal, I'd focus on getting them sorted out. Are you consistent with the timing of your meds around estrogen supps, iron, calcium, fiber supplements etc? These things can affect absorption. How long have you been on thyroid therapy? Are you still adjusting to your optimal dosage, explaining why you get better and then need more hormone? Maybe you get thyoid resistance? These are some of the things I'm wondering about.

As for Lupus, I just read that you must have at least 4 of the following symptoms to diagnose lupus.

http://www.hamline.edu/lupus/articl...s_of_lupus.html

THE ELEVEN CRITERIA USED FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF LUPUS

Criterion Definition:
  • Malar Rash Rash over the cheeks Discoid Rash Red raised patches
  • Photosensitivity Reaction to sunlight, resulting in the development of or increase in skin rash
  • Oral Ulcers Ulcers in the nose or mouth, usually painless
  • Arthritis Nonerosive arthritis involving two or more peripheral joints (arthritis in which the bones around the joints do not become destroyed)
  • Serositis
  • Pleuritis or pericarditis
  • Renal Disorder Excessive protein in the urine (greater than 0.5 gm/day or 3+ on test sticks) and/or cellular casts (abnormal elements the urine, derived from red and/or white cells and/or kidney tubule cells)
  • Neurologic
  • Seizures (convulsions) and/or psychosis in the absence of drugs or metabolic disturbances which are known to cause such effects
  • Hematologic Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white bloodcount below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it.
  • Immunologic Positive LE prep test, positive anti-DNA test positive anti-Sm test or false positive syphilis test (VDRL). Positive test for antinuclear antibodies in the absence of drugs known to induce it.