#14   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGale
I find a half-and-half combination of Hellman's Light and yogurt works rather well. The yogurt's tang covers up some of the phoney light mayo taste, while the mayo contributes richness and mouthfeel. It's even better with Greek yogurt, of course, and surprisingly enough, that combination is only three more calories per tablespoon than light mayo and regular yogurt. I imagine the cottage cheese would also work well.

I like the sound of that! I also use low fat salad dressing in tuna salads. Blue Cheese, or Ceasar, or even Ranch along with the mayo. There is a line of dressings etc by Walden Farms that has no fat, no carbs, no cholesterol etc...but the stuff is surprisingly good.

I also use ground black pepper, shredded or crumbled cheese, walnuts, sunflower seeds, celery seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, chopped eggs, dill pickle relish, parsley and scallions in my tuna salads...but not all at once.

I have also tried tuna and Walden farms Thousand island dressing, or a Greek Vinegrette called "Yasou" lightly mixed into tuna with crumbled fetta cheese. This last one I had on a low carb wrap with some shredded lettuce and black olives...

I am considering trying some pesto too.......

Mostly I like tuna, mayo, Ceasar dressing, walnuts, parsley, shredded monterey Jack, wee bit of garlic powder, onion powder and celery (finely chopped)or celery seeds.

Obvuiously you can sub the mayo for lower fat versions, and the same with the dressing. I use very little mayo and use the shredded cheese to offset the watery dressing (face it many low fat/calorie dressings are a wee bit runny.