View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 22:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Actually, NSAIDS cause sodium retention ... which can indirectly lead to fluid retention. Best to limit salt intake while you're using these.

Naproxen is a great anti-inflammatory, and very effective, but I blew up like a water-logged sponge when I took it for bursitis in my hip. If you can possibly wean off it .. with your dr's supervision of course ... you might want to try ibuprofen (Motrin or similar brand ... note that Advil brand has sugar in it's formula). Ibuprofen still has some sodium-retaining property, but less than Naprosyn. As you continue to lose weight, I'm sure you'll reach a point where you no longer need these at all Note* ... If you're still having significant joint pain, your dr might consider using one of the newer COX-2 inhibitors, such as Celebrex, Vioxx or Mobicox. They're more expensive .. but fewer side effects. You can read a bit more about it here.

As for fats ... good to take the omega-3's Stop using margarine and grocery store vegetable oils if you do use those. Instead, use butter or virgin olive oil for cooking. Have raw or unprocessed nuts and nut butters, and/or avocados. These will lower your LDL ("bad") and raise the HDL ("good") and will help to lower triglycerides.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted

Doreen