#47   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 23:13

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 212/184/177
BF:24%/9%/6%
Progress: 80%
Default Food Combining

For all those considering Food Combining,

1.) It works, but not why you think. You will lose tons of weight if you follow the principles.
2.) It is safe, healthy, but probably unnecessary.

However, there is nothing magic about it and if you figure out why it works you can break some rules.

I have done a decent amount of web research and most nutritionists and doctors don't seem to think that the body really has that much trouble with the combining of NATURAL foods. Most processed foods filled with hydrogenated oils or hypercaloric sugars can cause problems. Maybe they are wrong, but I still don't believe that this causes the weight loss. It probably does help cleanse the body and this will give you more complete nutrition.

Most food combining diets recommend LOTS and LOTS of natural fruits and vegetables. They are FULL OF FIBER which cannot be digested but makes you feel full. Of course you will lose weight. One cup of plain spaghetti has 185 calories. I can usually eat three cups, no problem because by the time my stomach sends me the full signal, I have eaten it all. You have to eat almost 23 cups of brocolli to do the same thing (24 cals/cup instead of 185). Go ahead and try it. Not to mention, when I at my 3 cups of pasta, I always had to drink milk and have meat sauce. My low carb lifestyle helps me control cravings, but the reason I lose weight is the caloric deficit and not some magic (except for the fact that it takes more calories to turn protein into glucose so I am cranking up my basic metabolism just by eating 250 grams of protein each day).

Show me someone who can eat 4000 calories a day on a food combining diet and I promise you, they get fat just like everyone else.

Another good principle you learn. You have to wait several hours to eat something else if you want to switch macronutrients so you learn to space your meals out.

Like I said, this is not rocket science.