View Single Post
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 13:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
If I had 2 girls and lived in this area I would move. If money or other issues kept this from happening I would beg barrow or steal to get my kids out of there as soon as possible and I would have to agree with you that there is NO WAY my kid would leave the house accept with me!

Move to where, Primate? I live in big city and no matter what zip code I put into the sex offenders database, it comes up with at least 150 registered for that zip code...and those are just the ones that have been convicted and registered (I checked this last night just out of sense of morbid curiosity). Perhaps you should do the same with your zip code and see how many it comes up with; I have a feeling that it may be a real eye-opener for you. BTW....as I mentioned before, the neighborhood that I live in is not considered unsafe for the city that I live in...it's middle to upper middle class and the homes here sell for 100K and up. The fact is in today's world and in most places in this country, it simply isn't safe to let your kids run around unsupervised. I admit, I ran the neighborhood unsupervised at their age when I was growing up. Maybe my parents were fools for allowing it and some bad things did happen to me. So...knowing what I do, I'm not about to give my girls that amount of freedom just yet.

I have a feeling that the reason that you started this post is because you were reading through the Low Carb Parenting and Pregnancy forum and jumped to some conclusions. Perhaps you are misunderstanding what parents who choose to have their kids join them on low carb do? I wouldn't consider my kids low carb, but they certainly are controlled carb but not because they have weight issues. It's simply a far healthier diet (yes, I use the word diet and in doing so, I mean the daily food that one eats, not a weight loss program) for them to be on than the SAD. The whole family eats this way and has for the past 4 years; I just eat at a much lower carb level than the rest of my family does.
You started out this thread blasting parents for putting their kids on diets, but did you check out the circumstances for their doing so first or even what, specifically, they were doing?
As I said before, I don't agree with putting young children on weight reduction diets unless there is a medical/chemical reason for doing so, just like you, but there is nothing wrong with cutting out junk food for the most part and feeding them healthier food. No matter what you're eating, you're on a 'diet'. The question then becomes; how healthy is your diet?
Step away from the German Chocolate cake.....