View Single Post
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 08:14
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Ya know the movie quote "You had me at hello.."? Well for me its, "You lost me at......
Quote:
What the hell is wrong with you?????
." ..... And honestly, about 30 minutes after you posted this thread I started a scathing response that started with, "Dude, you need to chill the bleep out..." then backspaced everything I wrote, and went on down the list of other new threads. But its a new day, and I'm back to reading this one.

I'm the mother of an overweight child. Is just admitting that setting me up for accusations ....as in how DARE I view my child like that? It's reality..she's 9 years old and in the third grade, and she weighed in at the doctors office (when she went in for a viral infection) at 122 pounds. I honestly believe that not caring (to myself) about her being at this weight, ignoring it and pretending it'll go away on its own is more dangerous. I've NEVER mentioned anything about her weight to her, I'd never dream of it...what could I say that could possibly get her to change this? Nothing..it'd only cause hurt and internally fester into self hatred compounding year after year for who knows how long. But, I do read the threads concerning diet & nutrition for children, I may have even replied to some. The point is, I'm trying to see how I can do anything differantly. I don't word for word follow everything I read, but once in awhile you'll pick up one thing.. that totally makes sense, something you hadn't thought of, you apply it..and it helps. Example: Limit or remove sugary drinks (juice boxes, apple juice, koolaid, etc). I did that a long time ago. Switch to skim milk instead of full fat Vitamin D milk, did that too. It's very much like us in our forum, we don't go by everything that we read within these forum walls... we scan through, ignore what doesn't pertain to us, and sometimes incorporate others that we hope might improve our WOL.

I guess it was the highly accusatory (that a word?) statements at the beginning of your post that started the smoldering thoughts. I don't want her to go through junior high and highschool hating herself, getting picked on and ignored because of her weight.... that turns into self hatred because you believe everyone hates you to treat you that way. (That's how I felt anyway, maybe I'm the only one that every felt it?) So......no, I won't just ignore it......

Also..... I remember the times when I was called fat. It burned, I cried, and who said it and where I was ..is just as clear and real to me as when it happened when I was on that playground 25 years ago. I'm happy for you, you had thick skin, it didnt bother you.