#24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 06:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
I'm a little annoyed by the constant focus on exercise in this thread. I was a fat baby, a fat kid, and grew into a fat adult. I was also an extremely active and athletic kid, and was athletic well into adulthood. It didn't matter.

Exercise, or lack of it to be exact, isn't the problem. Our food supply is. Lack of knowledge about nutrition is. The problem isn't lazy bodies, but lazy minds.

kwikdriver, you make a good point. Exercise in and of itself is ineffective for promoting weight loss. It's excellent for many things, including weight maintainence, cardiovascular endurance and muscle building...but not for weight loss.
It simply will not solve anything to keep feeding kids the same 'rubbish' (I like that word, also) and then tell them to go excercise more.
I agree with not putting young children on diets, at least not in the sense that most people think of diets. But how about we stop feeding them sugar-loaded cereal, pop tarts, Big Gulps, pop by the case and all the other non-nutrient crap and give them healthy, nutritious food in reasonable amounts instead?

Quote:
I was a fat kid too and there are a lot of fat kids in the world but most will grow out of it.

Primate, the fact is that most kids won't 'grow out of it' unless there is some sort of intervention. Obese children are far more likely to become obese adults than normal weight children.
It sounds good to say, "just love them as they are" but I wouldn't apply that reasoning if my kids were sick or hurt as a rationale to ignore the problem and do nothing about it. The question in my mind is do we love them enough to make the effort to change what they are eating and then put up with the whining without caving in when you tell them 'no' to daily unhealthy food?
Junk food on demand does not = love, people.
Changing a child's diet for the better without destroying their self-image in the process is quite possible...it's all in how you present it to the child.