View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:55

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the information, Tamarian. I have a question. I am asking this because I want to be clear for myself. On that site that you had a link to in your post, ketosis is defined as:

Quote:
(ke-to´sis) accumulation in the blood and tissues of large quantities of the "ketone bodies"
The bolding was my emphasis. This seems to say to me that you have to have a certain level of ketones in your blood for it to be called ketosis.

And I understand that ketones are generated whenever fat is metabolized. Aside: Aren't ketones also generated from diatary fat? And I do know that I am generating ketones or I wouldn't be stronger as I lose weight .

My question is, however, how do you determine the level at which it is called ketosis or are you suggesting that any level of ketones is ketosis?

My reason for stating what I did in my post was that on TSP we do not generate as many ketones as those who are on Atkins or other programs that limit carbs more than TSP, and we thus lose weight more slowly in general. Also, Dr. S. counsels against ketosis and says that it is unecessary to weight loss and health.

I think ketosis is great, especially as proof that your body is doing what you want it to do to remove fat from your body. But I am also very happy with my progress and the program I am following. And I really like the variety of food I am allowed to eat. I have perused Atkins followers' menus and it just wouldn't work for me .

In my post I was just commenting on the fact that they are testing only the extremes. I would like to see them test programs that are not so extreme. It might help the whole picture. It would be interesting to see a low-carb maintenance plan tested too. I fully intend to low-carb for the rest of my life.

;-Deb