View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 16:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Arrow

Jalilah I've merged both of your posts together so that all of your replies will be in one place.

Quote:
Issue 1: I don't know HOW I'm going to fit in the aerobic challenge because I have dance practice 5 days a week, 3hrs a day (COULD do 2, but no less), plus I teach dance 3 days a week (sometimes 4 if I have private lessons with students). Will this hinder my results??
The extra cardio will hinder results if you do not eat enough. That kind of exercise demands fuel - all three macronutrients, but your most important factor will be protein. You may have to track calories at first to ensure you're getting enough (1g per lb of current body weight minimum).

Quote:
Issue 1b: By not doing the aerobic challenge, and since my practices are so long-----do you think my results will be far different than the average person?
I am of the opinion that what matters most is nutrition. You've heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen"? 70% of any exercise plan will be what you put (or don't put) into your mouth. That being said, if you skip the HIIT (20 MAS) and just do your dance you'll run less of a risk of wasting muscle mass, assuming the dance is less intense than High Intensity Interval Training (which is anaerobic and can eat into muscle gains).

Quote:
Issue 2: My schedule is so insane that I can't seem to fit in 3 meals a day most times... much less 6.
This could be a problem. Eating 6 times a day provides your body with the fuel it needs when it needs it. If it does not receive what it is looking for it will scavange elsewhere (your muscles) for the fuel (amino acids) it requires.

Quote:
Issue 3: It's recommended that you take a couple of meals or so a day with shakes or bars (EAS, myoplex)... but how can I fit those into the Atkins program?
Many of us use LC protein shakes to supplement our meals. I’d avoid the bars at all costs – a LC bar does not exist.

Quote:
Issue 4: Sunday is a "free day." How do do that on Atkins?
Free day for Lcers on BFL tends to be a non accountability day – You eat what you want that is LC when you want it. No tracking of food, no protein requirements, no 6 meals a day. There are a number of posts in this forum on how to deal with Free Day – a few quite recent.

Quote:
Issue 5: Exercising in the morning is near impossible. Most days I get to the gym when my schedule permits it. I'll still see results without doing this in the morning, wont I?
Exercising in the a.m. is suggested for two reasons. 1) people who do a.m. exercise tend to stick to their plan, statistically speaking. It’s done and it’s out of the way. 2) A.M. cardio tends to burn more fat and rev up the metabolism for the day. Lifting first thing in the morning is a matter of personal preference. You’ll find arguments for and against it. Pro: you get it out of the way. Con: You’re catabolic and no where near as strong as you would be later on in the day. Bottom line comes down to this: Do what works for you.

Quote:
I've read Nat's post to another question about why carbs are important prior to workout and what cortisol does...VERY interesting! But my quesion is.... why does the book say to work out on an empty stomach?
Actually, Jalilah, it’s post workout carbs that are important. That is when you are dealing with cortisol, free radicals and fatigue. Carbs after a workout will give you a controlled insulin spike that will help shuttle amino acids into the muscle and neutralize cortisol. As for working out on an empty stomach, see answer to Issue 5.

Quote:
fruit: I can't find any berries, not even strawberries in my area... I mean NO ONE has them! What else can I have (I'm on Atkins as well, so scared to add illegal fruits).
Fruit is only illegal on Induction. Fruits are legal on Atkins. You want something carby post workout – it doesn’t have to be fruit. Steel cut oats, sweet potatoes, a higher carb protein shake – all these will do the trick. I just had a half a pack of Skittles

HTH
Nat