View Single Post
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

Quote:
I started this post because of the woman that eats lard and animal fat as a main stay.Look at what she eats....dare you to eat this way and say its wonderful.

I can easily raise that bar, lol (fat-wise, not quantity-wise). I love smoked pork fat (as in the fatty part of bacon, no meaty bits, smoked instead of cured). Lovely creamy texture, great smoky taste. Absolutely wonderful with tomatoes!
I'm also known to endulge in at least half a cup of heavy cream every day. Cream has always been my favourite food and I could never get bored with it! I don't drink it, it's too thick. I enjoy it with a teaspoon much like one would eat icecream. Yummy!
Eggs in lard... I'm not a big fan of eggs and I prefer them boiled. But as far as lard is concerned, I'd much rather have a fatty lardy cut of meat than a stringy fatless muscle. And don't get me started on skinless chicken breast, so dry I could choke on it!

So yes, having lots of animal fat in my menu is a wonderful way to eat, but it's my opinion as a person who's never developed a fat phobia. I know where you're coming from, I know someone whose tolerance for animal products is limited to milk in his coffee and the very occasional fatless muscle (chicken, mostly). Anything else - fat, organs, sausages - is a no-no. He's not afraid of fat per se but the notion that fat is bad is so deeply ingrained in him that he's actually developed the taste... actually, the lack of taste for it.

It's how you're raised, I believe. Like, for example, people around the world love shrimp. I hate shrimp! I had shrimp for the first time when I was 25 and I was so well aware of how it looks that at some level it ruined my ability to really taste it, all I could think about was how disgusting it looks. If I had had it since childhood, I would perhaps think of shrimp as a perfectly normal looking, tasty food. Or, another example, bugs and worms -- people eat those, too, in some parts of the world -- I couldn't ever! Is shrimp nutritious? Or bugs or worms? Or fat, for that matter? Yes, they all are and people have eaten them for ages and their kids, too. But in the end it all comes down to "can you really take the plunge with an open mind?" It's harder for adults than children, we already have our preconceived notions about looks, taste and texture, about what's edible and/or healthy and all of these can enhance or ruin our appreciation of a particular food item.