View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:09

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 148/145/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yep -- I understand. I've already posted a few messages about my weight-loss frustration. Here's what I've seen so far on my 2 months on TSP (eating much lower-carb than recommended by author):

Bad: Period cycle is shorter, no weight loss at all (I lost about two pounds and then they came back), and unlike you, no loss in inches. My clothes are tight.

Good: My energy level is up, no energy swings anymore, I'm not hungry all the time, I have almost no cramps or PMS, my skin looks great.

So what to do now? I have no idea. It is clear that high-carb eating was doing a bad number on me and there really is something to this plan. However, I also think that eating this way causes tremendous hormone shifts, which would account for some of the things your report, and my own experiences. Maybe that also has something to do with the non-existent weight loss. For me, I'm gonna stick with this for a few more months just to see. If my cycle stays excessively short and my weight doesn't change, I may try some sort of middle of the road approach: lower calories, but emphasis on whole grains and good protein sources.

For you, I wholeheartedly agree that you should talk to your doctor (do you have a really good ob/gyn?) ASAP, but don't panic just yet. Since there is clearly a very strong hormonal component to this shift in lifestyle, and you are already rearranging things a bit with HRT, it may take a while for the changes to shake out and balance out.

Also, since you are experiencing a fat loss (even though no weight loss) you may have some wiggle room to up the protien and add some good carbs (as the other folks on this thread have mentioned): sweet potatoes, avocados, corn tortillas, etc...

Just my thoughts for the afternoon...
Abby