#308   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 217/159/125 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default New Products I've tried recently

The big Tesco Extra in Glasgow finally starting stocking some of the low carb products I've been hearing about. (Our smaller neighbourhood Tesco doesn't stock them and I doubt it ever will.)

We've tried the Tesco Carb Control brand pizza. It costs about 2 quid for a pack of two single-serving size pizzas. They're 9.3 carbs each. The crust is made with wheat flour and soy protein. It's quite like real 'thin and crispy' pizza crust. The spicy tomato sauce is what you would expect from a supermarket pizza. My main complaints are that the pizza only comes in one flavour and that it has hardly any cheese (10%). The flavour is 'pepperoni', but there's very little of that. The toppings are mostly onions and peppers. I don't know why they don't have a 'meat lovers' style pizza, with more cheese on it, as that would be lower in carbs. I can't eat these without adding extra meat and mozzarella, but they sure are good to have on hand when that Saturday night pizza craving hits! They're stocked with the other ready-made pizzas (fresh, not frozen).

Tesco also has Heinz Carb Check brand Fusilli. It's three quid for 500g. Yes, that's a lot to pay for pasta, but considering you get six servings from a bag, it's not outragous. This stuff is 11.4 carbs for a generous 75g serving. (Once you add sauce, meat, mushrooms etc. it's a full meal.) It's made from wheat gluten, wheat starch, soya protein isolate and semonlina. We really like it. It's got the texture and flavour of whole wheat pasta (from what I remember - haven't touched the stuff in two years). I think they ought to also market it to vegetarians because there are 39.5 grams of protein in a serving. I can't imagine why anyone would buy the much higher carb Carb Options brand pasta when this stuff is available. It was stocked with a bunch of other low carb products on an endcap near the back of the store.

Finally, I went to Boots a few days ago and checked out their low carb section. I saw their Locarb brand croissants and couldn't resist. These cost two quid for a package of four normal sized croissants. They're 9.2 carbs each. The first ingredient is butter! They've cut the carbs by using wheat gluten and soya protein isolate. They're not as flakey as I would like a really good croissant to be, but they're soft and tasty (all that butter). I slice them and put them in the toaster and they come out great. These were stocked in the section with the low carb bars and shakes.