View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/185/160 Male 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 29%

true alcohol is extra calories.....but i think people exaggerate about its effects on losing weight. It doesnt kick you out of ketosis.....and I tend to be someone who doesnt eat while drinking.....the reason alot of drinkers pile on weight is because they binge on carbs while drinking. I think Dr. A was right to advise not to drink....its extra calories and such....although some of my best weight loss was nights after drinking( and getting plenty of water so was not due to dehydration). I've done "control experiments" eliminating all alcohol from my diet for weeks at a time....no noticable difference. I've even heard theories alcohol enchances metabolism to a degree......if you are not gorging on carby junk at the same time to trigger insulin ( your body DOES adjust accordingly, yet grudgingly to caloric intake... and in chemistry terms, it takes more energy to break up alcohols than simple carbohydrates and fats which tend to be chemically less complex). I think alcohol has more double bonds to carbon atoms which requires more energy (via thermogensis) to break up into usable elements for the body. Im not saying drink all the time....just in my honest opinion I think its effects on weight loss/gain are
exaggerated