Thread: chicken wings
View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I seem to recall fat has about 9 calories per gram and carbs have about 4 calories per gram. This is part of the rationale for the low-fat diets by the way (not that I support them). The 52 g of fat in the chicken wings is roughly 470 calories just there.

I love chicken wings too, and make them about once every 2 months or so. I dry roast them in the oven with spices and most of the fat drips off, so I am hoping that the result is somewhat lower calorie.

If you're interested here is my method:

Cut off the wing tips and cut the chicken wings into halves (ie: separate the drumette from the ??? I don't know what to call the other half - the part with two bones). Line a rimmed cookie sheet with tin foil and arrange the wings on a baking rack (the kind you use to cool cookies) placed on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle fairly generously (I mean it) with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and a bit of cayenne pepper. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 1 and a half hours (I know it seems like a long time), turning over once and re-spicing about half way through. You have to judge the time a little, depending on how "well done" you like them. This amount of time gives a pretty well done wing with crispy skin. As I say, quite a lot of the fat drips off, being rendered in the long roast. They are amazing, and I serve them with blue cheese dressing and celery!

Cheers, Barb