View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 05:49

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Tilly,

Take a deep breath and know it's going to be OK. You CAN do this!

I have chronic clinical depression and anxiety disorder, so I understand the nervous/worried feelings. Your body and mind are basically having a temper tantrum, demanding the carbs and other goodies it was used to having to help regulate those feelings. There is a relation between seratonin ( the "feel good" receptors in the brain) and carbohydrate intake. Give yourself time and permission to feel these feelings. Explore them and try to understand what is driving them and triggering them. That way you will learn to deal with them on a different level than by masking them with food. The good news of all of this.... It will get easier and the cravings WILL drop.

Since starting this WOL I have fought the same battles (without medication) and I am slowly winning. I have some awful days but the better days are starting to out number the bad ones. You can do the same, if you choose to. It may be that you will need medication, but I encourage you to give your body a chance to handle this first. St. John's Wort is of some help to people and is a more natural way of helping these things. Other herbs that you could use to help control the anxiety is Kava-Kava or Valerian root (best to be taken at night since it will help you if your having trouble sleeping) Or you could use a form of aroma therapy for a boost when you are in the midst of an attack by keeping a sachet with a mix of Ylang-Ylang and lavender close by. Sit yourself down in a quiet spot, even if its only the bathroom, close your eyes, take a deep breath of the sachet, in through the nose and slowly out of your mouth, and picture yourself in a safe and comforting spot(and at your target weight). My safe spot is a river in the woods near my house where I grew up. Remind yourself why your doing this WOL and give yourself permission to succeed at it. Then ask yourself what caused this nervous reaction and what you can do to change it. Do this until you feel back in control. Have you tried journaling your feelings so you know what the triggers are and then making micro changes to help you avoid or change those situations that spark the nervousness ? Of course, since I am not a Dr, if you do need more help I encourage you to speak to a Dr about it.

You can see a small part of my battle in my journal and I will gladly talk with you during this to help you through. As bad as my depression/anxiety was, I am pleasently surprised that by using these techniques I have been able to wait out the changes in my body without medication. Wish I had done this years ago so I wouldnt have to had spend so much money on medications! lol

Good Luck!