#4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default My two cents

This might not be what you want to hear but here are some of my thoughts.

I have been taking psychotropic medications for almost 20 years, with only a few months off them. I am certain the meds contributed to my weight gain.

I have also had my share of psychiatric crises.

I live, always, with the hope that I will need less and less psychotropic medication as time goes by.

I am losing weight even though I am on the meds but I am pretty sure it slows it down.

The doctor that currently monitors my psychotropic medication (SSRI is a psychotropic med) is well aware that I am doing Atkins and she is fully supportive of the idea.

Lots of doctors don't understand Atkins even though new studies seem to come out regularly that Atkins was right all along.

Rather than give you eating advice, here is what I think you should focus on. Get emotionally stable. Stable doesn't mean a few weeks. Give yourself a few months of emotional stability and medication stability. Playing around with new meds is a very stressful time. Give yourself some time.

When you are feeling more well, then return to weight loss. If your doctor still opposes it at that time, find a new med doctor.

Focus on your overall life progress, not on just weight loss.

It is so hard to postpone our desires, especially when we are under the kind of stress that puts us in the ER. My favorite psychiatrist was a Chinese American who spoke with a wonderful Chinese accent. I no longer live in same city as him or he would still be my guy. I went to see him once wildly upset about the fact that my emotional instability was going to erase all the progress I had made. He asked me, "tell me, if you are building a fence and then for a time you must stop woring on it, does the work become undone? Is not the effort of your work still there when you return to finish the fence?" He assured me my progress would still be waiting for me when I was ready to focus on it again. He didn't call it an ancient Chinese proverb but it sure sounded like one. I even had friends accuse me of making it up because it sounded like a racial stereotype. That story has helped me when I have felt stalled in life.

When you are stable, and it might not take very long, you can return to weight loss. Be patient with yourself.