#2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BFL training
Stats: 210/206/143
BF:28%/27%/<20%
Progress: 6%
Default My 2 cents worth...

I was on a lot of meds when I first started Atkins. BCP's to regulate my cycles, Anti-depressants for anxiety and depression, and a lot of herbs for other reasons. Some ofthe anti-anxiety drugs I was switched too made the symptoms worse. I have now gradually weaned myself off of all of them but my multi-vitamins and L-glutamin for my sweet tooth.
Here is what I think-
Atkins helps to regulate your insulin which helped me to not be anxious and my cycles are much better with exercise. I now have energy to do exercise since eating less carby foods.

1) Have any of you experienced anxiety/aggitation/irritability or headaches from doing Atkins? Did it only last during Induction, or for a month or so?

---I think everyone experiences headaches from detoxing from the sugar overload. After 5 days or so for me they went away. I used Jalepenos which naturally thins my blood which helped my headaches tremendously.

2) How should I best go about adding some carbs? I'm beginning to feel better (anxiety wise) since I've stopped the SSRIs and have been eating more carbs - but eating a bunch all at once seems to cause an insulin response & carb cravings. I would appreciate some advice on some foods I could introduce slowly throughout the day to up my carb intake. I think I'll try oatmeal for breakfast or as a morning snack - but what could I add for snacks/lunch/dinner that would help me keep my carbs fair-mid range.

---I add carbs after induction in the way of watery fruits and whole wheat bread (1 slice toast in the morning) and tortilla (for lunch). I don't eat carbs after 5pm and continue to lose or maintain. You may also consider eating the BFL way-6 times a day with equal parts carb/protein/veggies. A portion is the size of your fist.

3) How many carbs sould I add - should I go up only to 50-60g or as high as 100-150?
---As far as Atkins' WOE, he suggests increasing carbs 5G a day until you find your tolerance (keeping you in Ketosis). Since your doctor has advised you otherwise-I think you would be safe on the BFL plan I listed above. It is very similiar to WW & Jenny Craig, and most doctors approve of it.

Good luck!