#2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:59
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Welcome to Canada.

If you can't find a Chapters...any local public library will have copies. Also...just look for a different bookstore as there would be many, many in Vancouver.

As for lowcarb foods at the store....stay away from all the bread, pasta, rice, flour, sugar, most fruits(actually all fruits until your induction period is over). I'm sure there's plenty more you need to stay away from but you get the idea.

Now...go buy...
veggies(not carrots, potatoes, peas or corn). Try lettuce, brocolli, brussle sprouts, cauliflower, greenbeans........etc
beef, pork, chicken.....etc....you can also have bacon, ham sausage. Just look for sugar counts and buy the one with sugar listed at the end of the list and not near the beginning...best is no sugar but a little will be fine.

Cream, cheese, cream cheese. These are low carb....but don't eat more than 4 ounces of cheese during your 2 week induction.

Eggs, eggs, eggs. Eggs are your friend.
butter, mayonaise(not miriclewhip), olive oil.
Fish...anned or fresh...eat up!!

When I shop I always stay on the outside isles. The only things I go "down the isles" for are canned salmon and tuna, mayo, porkrinds.

Stay away from anything with potatoes, rice or flour.

For the first 2 weeks keep your carb count at 20. After that increase it by 5 carbs per week. This is all explained in the book.
Also...check out the RECIPE section on this board. You can find it in the home page when you first log on. There are many ideas for all meals and occassions. Just reading through thoses will be helpful in learning foods we can have.

I hope this helps. Remember...there are hundreds of bookstores in Vancouver...Chapters is only one of them. Every mall will have a book store and there are plenty not in malls. Just keep looking...you will find it.

Also....butter, oil, pure meats and poultry, fish all have NO carbs,
Veggies do have carbs but only a small amount. Cream, cheese and eggs also contain small amounts of carbs.

cin