View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 06:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Twiggy, if only it were an exact science

The best advice I have seen given is to start with the basics (12x) and see how that works. If it doesn't move down (11x). If that's not working move further (10x). In otherwords, find that 'zone' that works for you. If you're 300 lbs it may very well be 8x. But I can assure you it's not going to be 3x (which is something we see here).

It's fair to say that if someone is coming from a protein inadequate/ low calorie / low fat diet they are going to have some metabolic healing to do. Insulin resistance could be sky high. This was my case. At 245 lbs just eating 1800 calories took me all day long, and a lot of butter. 70 lbs later I now eat 2400, and it's not just a function of being more active. It's a function of a metabolism that now works like it should. It's a function of 140 lbs of lean muscle mass that needs to be fueled. It's because of LCing

When you hear us push "eat, eat, eat" it's to ensure that at least some of that message gets through - This forum is unlike any other I have visited in that it's more interested in your health than your quick and speedy fat loss.

My assumption in the case you described would boil down to this: at 150 lbs your metabolism would be less likely to be as out of whack as a 250 lb woman's. Eating 1500 calories might be too little for you (it is for many of our members), 1800 might suit you better. Or you might be like Jeanner and need 2300 Guidelines are just a starting point - there are always going to be the exceptions.

I think the only way to determine where you should start is to pick something that is at least healthy and see how you feel. Healthy for me would be 1600-1800 calories - and most days I'm starving on that!

Cutewolf - I think you need to re-read this thread - No one ever said "sit down and eat 10x your weight in calories, or else" It's a guideline to provide people with information who are trying to get by on 1000 calories a day thinking it's OK. The fact that you are now eating a healthy amount of food and losing weight is wonderful. This is a sure way to stay healthy and continue to lose. It's also quite possible that having lost such a considerable amount of weight you were going to stall for a while regardless of what you ate - bodies need a 'time out'.

Kate- head over to the BFL forum (under Exercise) there is a thread stuck at the top called "LC and BFL: tips and hints" You'll find a few links in the first post which lead to BF (body fat) calculators - that will give you your Lean Body Mass (LBM).

Twiggy - I'm not really sure I answered you, I'm not really sure there is a definitive answer.

Nat