View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 378/309.5/185
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well, I'm going to share my experience and throw it to the discussion mix. I started locarbing Nov 2000 at 385 pounds. I went thru the first 40 pounds in 4 months with no problem at all just following induction guidelines with NO idea whatsover of how many calories I consumed. Didn't count protein either. I ate meat, eggs, green stuff and cheese and coffee and life was good. Took me 8 months to get rid of the next 30 pounds. Getting worried there but kept going. Still no idea of calories.. I had to learn to be patient and life was still good. Beginning of this year I hit 304. So damn close to a mayor goal!!! But then all hell broke loose, went back up to 310 with NO REASON and that was the beginning of this stupid BIG STALL I'm dealing with now.
I've tried every stall breaker I read about and nothing. Went to the Dr and check metabolism, thyroid, all normal.
Atkins mention in his book that sometimes is good to just go away from his diet to some other diet to break the cycle. Well, I went totally vegetarian for 3 weeks. Hated every second of those 3 weeks, felt miserable, sugar off the chart and hit 320. No good, back to lo carb. Went back to Induction and went back to 314 and stuck again. That's when I signed up to this group and fitday.

Read about the 10x... for me that would be around 3140 cals per day. Now, I didn't get this big eating like a pigeon, You won't hear me saying...oh no, I can't eat that much. I definitely can. the problem is ... I'm still not losing. I asked for input in my fitday journal and was told by Terrydoodle that the 10x don't apply to 100+ (over) folks. She also mentioned I should control proteins.
Well, I dropped an average of 1,000 cals per day. Now I eat between 2300 - 2500 cals a day, which by the way is 10x my Lean Body Mass And guess what? I've lost 4 pounds in a week. I even got some "peesticks" and they are showing a nice shade of pink. Life is starting to be really good again.

And that's my story. At least for my experience, the 10x cals total body weight didn't fly. Maybe for big folks like me Lean Body Mass seems to be a more accurate guideline.

One important detail I need to mention... the only change I've made is amount and proportions of what I eat and NOT what I eat. I still eat meat, cheese, eggs, green stuff and coffee just a 1000 cals less of them.

Thank you Nat for the links to discussions about this subject. I enjoyed reading them.

CuteWolf