#3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 22:29
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 176/172/172
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default Did You See Ornish on the Show?

I thought he looked like SH*T! Absolutely NOT the picture of good health! I only caught the last half of the show and was horrified at what Ornish said in the last few minutes. Something like, "If you can get your cholesterol down to below 150, that's even better." Apparently, Dr. O is unaware of the many studies showing higher cancer rates correlating very strongly to increased cancer incidence. Furthermore, many decades of research have shown that you can't lower serum cholesterol significantly with dietary changes, yet there was Ornish misleading people into thinking they can.

I thought the worst part of the show (and the most misleading) was the story of the African-American woman who had 4 heart attacks and two bypass operations who finally got around to changing her lifestyle. I was glad she was feeling better (for now) and had started exercising, had lost weight, etc. But was very unhappy when she related her new dietary habits which were basically ultra low-fat and ultra-high carbs. The show showed her serving soy burgers and making macaroni and cheese with fat-free ricotta and soy cheese. BLECH!!! Her "new" ham hocks and collard greens contained no ham and no fat, just greens with peppers. Most likely, she used to eat lots of sugar and Crisco and refined carbs like white rice--the real causes of her heart problems, but the show made it sound like it was from her eating meat and animal fats.

God how I hate Dean Ornish!