Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 21:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
... Dr. B is a Type I diabetic who has helped countless patients with diabetes (type I & II) regulate their blood sugar through a LC WOE. It's a must have. You may even want to share it with your dietician.
More importantly, Dr. Bernstein actually REVERSED his own kidney disease by getting his blood sugars under control with a low-carb, higer protein & fat diet, and exercise.

Dr. B has a website, http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com .. with portions of his book posted online. You might want to read his personal story ... it's quite incredible My First 50 Years As a Diabetic.

I've recently posted an explanation of how kidneys are damaged in diabetes .. it's uncontrolled high sugars and insulin that are the culprits, not protein. Once kidneys are damaged, their filtration system is weakened .. and it's the weakened filtering system (the glomerulofilter) that can be stressed by too much protein. You can read that post in the Diabetes forum Diabetic Nephropathy, Albuminuria and the role of Protein

Hope this helps to ease your worries.

Doreen