View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 20:57

Plan: low cal/low carb
Stats: 235.0/215.4/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hey Heidi!
That is so coincidental that you also had a Greek boyfriend! I am SO excited to go to Greece. I've actually been there before, twice, and I cannot wait to go back. I was so surprised when you said you went to Antiparos, because I stayed there last summer in this tiny little "village" (i.e., 4 houses, 2 churches) called Soros--well the reason I was there was because I was on a team of excavators at another island close to Antiparos called Despotiko. It was the first and only time I've done an excavation but it was AMAZING. (Incidentally, after the dig I had never been in better shape in my whole life, so it was especially disappointing when I lost that!)

I've been to a bunch of islands, but not enough for me. I spent my spring semester of my junior year studying in Athens, and spent the entire summer of 2001 traveling around to the islands (plus all the weekends all semester long). And in the summer of 1999 I took two classes, one in Athens and one in Paros. I haven't been to Delos, which I think is the archaeological island you saw, or Ios, isn't that the crazy party island? I went to Mykonos with some Greek-American girls (they are way into partying!) and that was SO fun! OK can't you tell what a great time I am having reminiscing about the islands!!!

As far as being expensive, yeah I know. Especially because they have such nice clothes (not to worry-they don't come in my size ) and because I'm always in the mood to travel--the best way is definitely to stay w/ someone you know, or to do the study abroad thing which is actually a very good value--it was less expensive than tuition at my college, and I got a far better experience out of Greece than I ever got out of Washington, DC. (I did u-grad at Georgetown).

My boyfriend is Greek but he's actually from Cyprus and I visited his island and let me tell you it is nothing like Greece. It is very beautiful though.

To answer your question, what I hope to do with my classics degree. I'd love to be a classics professor at a college. I know that's tough to accomplish in a field that graduates 20 times as many PhDs as there are jobs, but I never give up hope!!

If you're looking at grad/PhD programs you can probably afford to be more picky about location than I could, since there just aren't that many grad schools that have Classics departments.

Well since we are both just starting out with the diet, I hope we can stick to it. I am really determined to do this, I am NOT going to quit.

My parents both did the Atkins diet too--my dad has diabetes so he really had no choice. He lost 60 pounds, and my mom lost like 15. So I know it works, I have the same kind of proof you have. So that means we can do this!!!

Are you doing exercise? Like I said, that's the toughest for me. Ok, time to get off the computer! Talk to you soon!
Heidi