Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 15:36

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%
Default Re: I am going to do it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Misty
I am going to give it a try. My question is what is the best way to get started? I've been working out for 4 years and here is my current program on Atkins:

Sunday: Lower Body Workout (I'm not soft on myself, I still feel it on Wednesday.)
Monday-30 minutes HIIT cardio
Tuesday: Upper Body Workout-(work chest, shoulders, tri's, bi's, and back) 2 exercises per bodypart/3 sets each to failure.
Wednesday:30 minutes HIIT cardio
Thursday: Repeat of Tuesday
Friday: Either 30 minutes of HIIT cardio or 45 minutes of low/medium intensity cardio (depending on energy level)
Saturday:Upper Body Circuit-1 exercise per bodypart/repeat 5 or 6 times

You do this on Atkins? Daym!

Sounds like quite a program. HIIT is excellent for CKD - combines the best of carb-depleting weight training effects and fat-burning cardio effects. It's also supposed to enhance growth hormone release.

You may want to stop short of failure when doing CKD. Lower intensity and higher volume may be better, especially towards the end of the week.

In "The Ketogenic Diet" Lyle enumerates the total time under tension that you have to put a muscle through to achieve whichever glycogen depletion level you're aiming for. Shame on me - I forgot the numbers and the book is somewhere in storage. 10-15 sets per muscle group per week has been working for me.

Do try a 12-hour carbup, then check whether the next week strength/endurance are the same. That's probably a good gauge of whether you're replenishing glycogen well enough.