View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 10:26

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default About Zantac

When I started LCing, I was taking one OTC Zantac a night for acid reflux. I would take TUMS during the day. Like AKS, I spent a lot of nights sitting up. Soon after starting TSP, I tried stopping the Zantac and still had lots of trouble, so I went back to it and just kept it up. I was able to sleep flat through the night and seldom needed TUMS.

After about 4 1/2 months of TSP, my reflux started getting worse. I blamed it on eating too many carbs, which I was doing, and other things, but the one thing it seems to have been. I tried lowering my carbs and cutting out certain foods, but nothing helped. Even taking TUMS, which had always helped me more than anything.

Then, finally, after almost 2 months of increasing pain, I suddenly figured that it might be the Zantac. I quit the Zantac a week ago and my problems are subsiding. My theory is that the LCing "cured" the acid reflux (but not as quickly as I had expected), so the Zantac acted the opposite of what it is supposed to. Carbs, IMHO, cause or exacerbate acid reflux. Zantac counteracts that problem. When you no longer eat enough carbs to cause the problem, Zantac is still trying to counteract the problem. Thus, eventually, it causes the problem.

Just my observations.

;-Deb