#6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 19:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation Hmmm ...

As an RN with 18 yrs of ICU and Emerg, to me the symptoms you describe sound like a textbook allergic reaction, except here's no rash or swelling. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible and frightening experience, but something else DEFINITELY besides just following Atkins Induction program was at work here.

As the others have stated, it's important to replace the fluid losses by drinking lots of water. Also, the need for mineral (electrolyte) replacement, particularly potassium is spelled out clearly in the books, and supplements are recommended from the outset of the programs. Vomiting increases potassium losses as well. Another mineral that you may well have been low in is magnesium, which will definitely have an effect on heart rhythm and palpitations.

The only other thing I can think of is were you previously eating a highly refined white flour and sugar diet, then switched cold-turkey to lowcarb? It's also important to eat lots of protein frequently through the day? Were you keeping the carbs around 20, or did you try to cut them way back drastically? There might have been some hypoglycemia involved .... eating protein would help. A small, sedentary woman needs a bare minimum of 60 gms protein every day, and try to spread it out through the day. Larger persons, or more active, need more.

Sorry this happened, and here's hoping you have continued success with the CAD program. All the best to you, and please keep us posted of your progress.

Take care ..

Doreen