#12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/256.5/165 Female 5'7"
BF:54%/44%/25%
Progress: 41%
Default The Eating Disorder Factor

I have to agree with the original poster of this thread--moderation is not always possible in all areas. I have long had a compulsive eating disorder. This is the flip side of the same coin as anorexia. If you know anything about anorexia, you know that you can't just say to the person---"Eat more and diet and exercise in moderation."

There is so much that is NOT understood about eating disorders. It is more than a psychological issue. It is not just about will power or acting on your beliefs.

The way I see it, if you can identify the triggers that send you out of control--for me they are large carb doses, extreme stress, and on the flip side, extreme feelings of deprivation--then you have the keys you need.

It is not about using will power to be moderate. It is about knowing yourself, and what the "lessor of evils" is for you, so to speak. I am finding that low carbing gives me a feeling of freedom rather than deprivation--as I can have as much meat and veggies as I can fit into my stomach. Also, because of the low carb nature of meat and veggies, I don't get triggered to eat them compulsively, so consequently, I feel neither deprived, nor a compulsion to binge with this WOL.

And I have the energy and will to exercise, for a change. In fact, the exercise (water aerobics and swimming laps) is my way of relaxing--of having some fun in my day, and relieving stress. Going to the pool has become my "get away" from the things that are eating me! And I get the extra benefit of feeling graceful, like when I was a dancer and gymnast, a long long time ago. That feels sooooo good.

kaelen