Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/256.5/165 Female 5'7"
BF:54%/44%/25%
Progress: 41%
Default My IBS and yeast responses to high and low carbs

Hi,

I have a long relationship with yeast problems. Vaginal (like two a month at one point--I was part of the study group for ketoconizol back in the mid-80s). I've also had yeast infections in the corners of my mouth (during high stress, low immunity times) on my head and face (dandruff that only nizoral shampoo helps), and even in my ears in the form of itchy dry pustules. I can't recall back in my 20s (I'm 39) what my yeast antibody counts were, but I know that several times my intestines have been found to have extreme yeast overgrowth based on stool samples.

For my whole life I have also had issues with intestinal cramping, switching between the runs and constipation (even had to have surgury due to a tear in my colon resulting from extreme constipation), and lots of nausea and reflux. All of this Western Medicine is calling IBS.

About a six weeks ago, I started low carbing. The first two days my reflux and cramping got worse, and then disappeared completely. I had even gone off of the IBS medication. Then, in the last two weeks, my mother went into the hospital, and I reverted to a more convenient and traditionally emotionally comforting high carb diet. I found myself exhausted, extremely emotional (I had noticed this after slips, too--that I would be highly emotional and depressed the day after a sugar binge), and most notably, constantly nauseated. I also started to get a vaginal yeast infection despite daily acidophilous dosing, as well as acne.

Now I have been back to low carbing for four days again. And again, the first two days I felt crampy and had increased reflux (I take Previcid every day, btw, for years), but now my stomach has completely settled down. No cramps, no nausea, the reflux is back under control, and the stool is returning to normal, which is extremely ABnormal for me. My mood is also stabilizing again. My complexion is clearing. I'm sure emotional stress levels play a part, but really, my stress levels have not changed much through all of this (you know, if it's not one thing, it's another).

I find this completely amazing. How about you? Any similar experiences?

kaelen
Sponsored Links