View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 122/131/105
BF:26%/25%/18%
Progress: -53%
Question Very Confused About Protein (LONG)

I just read the following on the CarbSmart Magazine website:

"Now, for fun or horror, (depending on how you look at it), we can calculate how many hidden carbohydrates the person in our above example will get from eating her required amount of protein. Since an average of 58% of the protein can become carbohydrate, we multiply 60 protein grams by 58%. The answer is about 35. Depending on how a person's body uses the protein it needs, as many as 35 extra carbohydrate grams may be available from 60 grams of protein consumed, in addition to the amount of carbohydrates that the person is getting from eating other carbohydrate foods."

I know that I have read discussions about this before, but I have never fully understood what it means and what to do about it.

Another thing I don't understand is why doing a Meat Fast is one of the recommended ways to break a stall. If excess protein only hinders weight loss, why would this help break a stall?

I am currently doing a 2 or 3 day Meat Fast because I haven't lost a pound or an inch in 52 days. Now, I am wondering if I am only hurting my progress. I'm on my last 5-6 pounds and certainly can't afford to make any mistakes at this point.

I tend to eat over 100g of protein a day without even trying. I eat a lot of butter and mayo to keep my fats above 60%, but the protein is almost always above 100g and I am only 5'2", 111 pounds!!! It looks like this is way too much, but I don't know how to change it and still be full. Before starting this WOE I was eating close to 4000 calories a day (at 118-122 pounds), mostly carbs, and not gaining any weight. Now I am eating 1500-2000 calories a day, mostly fat (60-65%) and protein (30-35%), and not losing. I would think that a 2000 calorie deficit from what my body is used to consuming would make weight loss easier than this. That's why I am looking into the protein issue.

It's so confusing because everyone talks about the foods that are known for stalling weight loss. Most of those foods are the ones that a person would add to raise their fat and lower their protein. I'm talking about things like cheese (I assume this includes cream cheese), nuts, cream, bacon, pepperoni, etc. Unfortunately, I don't like avacado, so that isn't an option for me.

I guess my questions are:

If a high fat intake and low protein intake helps weight loss then why do the above foods "stall" so many people?

Why is there such thing as a Meat Fast?

How does one stay full without eating a lot of protein. Fat does nothing to fill me up but a big steak does the trick.

Am I likely stalling because I am eating too much protein on a daily basis?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links