Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: an introduction, and a few questions

Hi Katie and welcome to the forum. Glad we were all able to help you out

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawwoman
I have two or three questions for you all, however:
1) I know how to lift free weights and to give myself rest days and all that, but what about the frequency of cardio? And I read a lot about spacing out your meals into small ones spread throughout the day, is this really neccesary?

I'm going to assume that since you're posting in the BFL forum that is the plan you're looking to start up with. Cardio and lifting should be followed according to the plan - 3 days of each per week, roughly 45 minutes for your resistance work and 3 cardio sessions (using Intervals) for 20 minutes.

Spacing out meals is really neccessary. Any plan you follow will be 30% exercise and 70% nutrition. Intense exercise demands proper and adequate nutrition - not just for the day as a whole, but throughout the day, when it is needed. Eating more frequent, smaller meals will provide the necessary nutrients and protein that your body needs.

Quote:
2) I just read somewhere (Nat, maybe?) in this forum that upping your carbs slightly might be advisable to enable muscle gain, and I have noticed that my muscles fatigue MUCH more quickly than before. Can you all suggest or point me towards a website?

That would be in the sticky (the thread stuck at the top of the subforum) at the top of this forum, called "BFL and LC - hints and tips" You'll find a lot of information in there relating to doing this program with LC nutrition.

Quote:
3) I have a history of getting overly upset at that stupid number. Should I just chuck the scale and get my bodyfat measured from time to time?

Yes, definitely. And take measurements - they will provide a more accurate picture of progress than the scale. If you know you can't handle the scale, why drive yourself nuts?

Quote:
4) Cheese. I had one slice of cheese once and it seemed to increase my hunger 100X, so I have been gun-shy about it. Is it possible that I have some weird sensitivity to it? Do you think I'll be able to get past this? I love cheese. . .

It's possible you have an intolerance - but these things usually present as bloating, pain, stomach distress and even hives. Not hunger. I think this is an underlying symptom of not eating enough. 1300 calories is not enough food for a sedentary 140 lb woman, let alone one who is active. Consistently eating below 1400 calories can permanently lower your metabolism.

Quote:
5) I drink a couple atkins shakes a day. Is that ok, or is there a hidden carb thing in that too?

No hidden carb problem with shakes. But the Atkins brand, to my recollection, are not the best choice for protein. You want one that will deliver about 30g of protein per serving, with minimal carbs. You'll probably find a better price and a bette product shopping around.

Quote:
[By my calculations, this puts me at 1300 calories a day. Which is incredible because I'm so darn full at the end of the day!!]

This is the double edge sword of ketosis - it robs you of your appetite. Eating too little is a sure way to slow your loss and lower your metabolism. You need to up those calories - specially if you're going to follow this program. You can use fats to do this; butter, olive oil, olives, nuts, seeds, skin on chicken, mayonnaise. They are all calorie dense and mainly fat. A little goes a long way.

Best of luck!
Nat