#13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I've been on Depakote and Seroquel

I took Depakote for several years, along with Wellbutrin. I needed the meds, I took them, they helped a lot. But I gained a lot of weight. It wasn't just the meds. I didn't exercise, I ate poorly. BUT it is true that Depakote makes it easier to put on weight.

These kinds of medications, like all meds, affect your liver, which is really where your metabolism is determined. On Depakote a person has to have regular blood tests to evaluate the level of the drug in the liver. It is hard on this vital organ.

After a move, I changed doctors and the new one suggested I replace Depakote with Lamictal (for clinical reason unrelated to weight gain). It works much better for me and I have lost weight slowly but steadily since that time.

Seroquel. It wiped me out. I am sure it is hard on your metabolism but I couldn't take it. I would take one pill and sleep for 20 hours. When I was awake, my whole body was stiff and achey and each movement hurt and I felt weighted down by thousands of pounds. Walking across a room wiped me out. Seroquel made me sick.

In the two years, I have lost 50 pounds, taking lots of meds. 16 days ago I started low carb and lost the last 15 (the total over two years is 50). I read something this week about how meds cause weight gain and I cried about it to my therapist. She pointed out to me that I AM on Wellbutrin and Lamictal AND I AM LOSING.

My point is that the meds can add to our struggle to lose weight -- and gosh, that's not fair -- but we can lose weight if we are determined to.

If you make healthy eating choices, add exercise to your life to the best of your ability and stay committed, you will lose weight even while you are on meds.

But I gotta tell you: I am so happy to be off Depakote.

Hang in there.