View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 04:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Three pounds isn't too bad in fact. You expect to lose 10% of the weight you've got to lose in the fortnight of induction - well that would be 4.5 pounds for you. I know you read of people losing loads so its frustrating when you don't, but most of us don't.
Everybody's different and our bodies need to adjust to what's going on, which they also do differently
Useful image for me is what fat cells are up to.
Apparently, as they lose fat, they grab onto water, to stay the same size, hoping the fat loss is temporary and they don't need to shrink. When they finally realise it isn't coming back, they let go of the water. So, weight and inches loss can be in steps and although you think nothing is going on, it is.
I've had patches of nothing happening and got very frustrated and then the inches and pounds started going again. Knowing this explains why.
If you're exercising, chances are you're adding muscle too, which weighs more than fat. So a loss of 3 pounds could be 6 pounds fat, but added 3 pounds muscle!

Next thing is your diet. You need to be eating green veg and salad, for the micronutrients etc, which you can't replace just by taking multivits and fibre powders.

You don't say how many calories you've been eating, you know that too few and you don't lose weight? Weird but true.
Some of the things you've been eating may contain 'hidden carbs' have you tried using Fitday (find it at fitday.com). Its a free program that you input your food for the day into and it calculates how much fat , protein, carbs and calories you're eating.
A good aim is 70 - 75% fat, about 5% carbs and 20 - 25% protein. You've got the bit about being able to subtract the fibre from the carbs right? ie a stick of broccoli has say 7 carbs, 4 of these are fibre, so you count it as 3 carbs.
As for calories you should be eating at least 10x your body weight, ie 2150 calories, if not 12x.

It's not a quick fix this, though I guess we all wish it was at times. Still, if you stick with it, it works. This is from the most impatient person in the world - I'm learning.
All the best, Jay