Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 135/135/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post IBS

Schwarz,

I am sorry to hear of the misery your son is going through. I have IBS, but mine is more of the diarrhea predominant type. Please know that I am not an expert! But, here are my thoughts:

1. Make sure he has a colonscopy. IBS can mimick many other problems, which may be more serious.

2. Usually one does not vomit that much with IBS. I am not saying it never happens, but it sounds like he has been at it for days.

3. An endoscopy may be a good idea, too. This may get to the root of the vomiting problem.

4. Keep trying to get him to move his bowels as much as possible. You are doing the right thing by forcing fluids, serving bran, and giving him laxatives.

I have a few questions......Is there blood in his stool (bowel movements that are either black or bright red in color)? Is there blood in his vomit? Does he have a fever? Exactly when was his last normal bowel movement?

I suppose this onset of problems could be a result of the stress of the car accident. But, I am concerned that it is some type of injury, such as a torn bowel, that was not discovered in the CT scan. This is where a colonscopy and endoscopy is also a good idea.

Please let us know how he is doing!

Melissa
Sponsored Links