View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:05

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default People do treat the thin differently

I was always a bit on the chubby side. I remember that at 142 - 148 in high school I was considered a *cow*. I always lifted wieghts so I could, quite literally, knock anyone on their butt that was rude enough to taunt me about it. I felt like I had to be tough to garner any respect. I made a lot of friends, but my weight still held back some others from being close to me, albeit they were still polite.

In college, I went down to 115 around my sophmore year (ahhh, the good old days). When I lost weight, people who had quite literally blown me off before wanted to be my friend. I was a hotty, I was smart and I was fun.

Newsflash!!! I was always smart and fun, if not a hotty...

Now, with two children, a great husband and a noteworthy career I realize the stupidity of those that treat the thin and the not so thin differently. I think once you gain the confidence that you are a GREAT, FUN, BEAUTIFUL person no matter what your weight, you will begin to lose some of those fears and the self doubt that could hold back your success.

I'm losing wieght for me, but I also know that being heavy could cause health issues as well as hold me back (this sucks) in my career. It hasn't so far, but appearances mean a lot in the business world and I don't ever want to feel that my appearance held me back.

Not to mention, I want to make my husband drool. Not that he doesn't now, but I want to have to dig out the mop when he sees me all dressed up... or not!

Good luck. I hope you are able to overcome your fears. There is a lot of support on these boards to help you.

Kristi