#7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 10:48

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelma
I didn't find the Crisp Chocolate, but entered the info of the Crisp Caramel Bar into the Hidden Carb Inspector:

Total Calories: 130
Fat: 9 g
Protein: 3 g
Total Carbs: 0 g (used the net carbs they listed)

And I came up with a total of 10.99 grams of carb per bar.

Okay, I think I get it now...if I crank the data manually, the 9 g fat equals 81 cal, the 3 g protein is 12 calories, so, based on the total calories from the label, the net must be 37 calories of carbs or 9.25 g of hidden carbs. Guess that's close enough to what the Hidden Carb Inspector reports.

My next issue is how do they get away w/ doing this? Is maltilol actually an inactive form of carbs? Does the body simply ship these carbs out the chute, or does it metabolize them? It must do something w/ some of the carb grams, or the total "hidden" grams would be equal to the number grams of maltilol muliplied times 4 calories. In the case of the Milk Chocolate bar I started w/, that would equal 14 g * 4 calories or 56 calories. I am, of course, assuming that your candy bar contains pretty much the same number of grams of maltilol. So a bit more than half the hidden carbs do not play a role in the calorie count. The amount of fibre is less than 1 gram, so I am ignoring it for now.

And I believe I recall Dr. Atkins specifically addressing the issue of maltilol and similar ingredients, and saying to not use them. Does anyone else recall this?

Thank you again...I hope the bandwidth hasn't P.O.ed anyone...I just want to grok this, and hope the experience may help someone else out there as well.

Dang! Those candy bars are SO good, too! Ah well.....