Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi Sandy,

As Nat pointed out, they're both very expensive, so might not be a lot of folks with experience using them.

FWIW, I did look into taking l-carnitine at one time .. Dr Atkins suggests it "might" be helpful for obese persons who are having trouble getting into ketosis/ lipolysis with the diet alone, even after a short course of the Fat Fast, which is described in the chapter dealing with Metabolic Resistance. In general though, it's mostly used for heart problems, and to aid the heart muscle after a heart attack. The EXPENSE is what inhibited me ... it IS available in larger centers in Canada "under the counter" ... but at $45 Cdn for 30 - 1000mg pills, and the recommended dose is 1000 to 2000mg per day ... Ugghh! Atkins even suggest that for boosting ketosis, some of his patients didn't see results until they were taking 8000 mg a day!

CoQ10 can have a balancing effect on blood sugars and insulin, and may be helpful for reducing insulin resistance ... which ultimately can boost fat-burning. Dr Atkins tells of a study which showed improved fat-burning and weight loss when persons who were previously deficient in CoQ10 were given the supplement. Persons who were not deficient saw little change. Again, the dose used was high .. 100mg a day.

**Note - The cholesterol-lowering statin drugs will deplete the body's stores of CoQ10, so if you're taking or have taken those, then you should supplement CoQ10 for sure.

Sorry I can't share any experience, but hope the info. is helpful for you, one way or another.

Doreen