#25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Atsry

Dr. Atkins himself recommends calc. hydroxyapatite and calc. citrate as the most absorbable. I've also read that the lactate and gluconate forms are very good but might require greater amounts. I take citrate (in liquid form mixed with magnesium & vit. D - but I still take the CLO) because it's cheaper. I've also taken a combination that was mostly gluconate called CalMac (similar to the CalMax advertised on another infommercial) that I found at a healthfood store for $16.00. It's a powder that you first have to dissolve in hot water, then mix into a beverage or tea if you like; they also have a lemon-lime flavored one.

The cod liver oil you found appears to have been "fortified" to enhance its effect, if they don't list the calc. amount is b/c it's only a trace and probably not enough to influence your total. CLO only contains vits. A & D and,of course,"EFA's" (essential fatty acids).

GNC usually sells an inexpensive, decent tasting one and you can get the 2nd bottle at half price. I'm now using Walgreen's brand with cherry flavor added. Healthfood stores also have emulsified ones that come in different flavors. Stores like K-Mart, Walmart and most supermarkets also carry CLO capsules, so keep looking at the labels and you'll find one to suit you.

Again, I agree with your view of trying something if it makes sense to you. The saying "Nothing ventured nothing gained" exists for a reason, right? And in this imperfect world sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. Like you, I'd rather hold on to a false hope (as long as it doesn't keep me from the real one, if it exists!) than no hope at all because our state of mind is very powerful when it comes to healing. You and I, Carol, just don't seem to have a problem taking a risk every now and then. I know I've been wrong a few times but I also know I've been so glad I've "ventured" more times than not