View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I didn't make up the meat/thyroid thing so I can't "define" what's too much for you and I can't remember now where I read it. I read all the time online and I don't bookmark everything.

I still can't agree with the "yo-yo" theory, especially because in the exercise forum Trainer Dan shares a plan he developed (and wrote a book about) called CKD which alternates low-carb with "mostly carbs" together with weight training and cardio. You can't get more "yo-yo" than that but many are swearing by it, so...

And I don't think I'm a "typical dieter". I was thin most of my life and like the majority of women had to lose some pounds after childbirth (2 kids) at which time in a way I was on a type of low-carb plan because I avoided most starches and all sugar (but also excess fat). After having my 2nd child in '84 I found out I was hypoglycemic and I struggled to stay away from sugar and refined flour ever since but had many relapses due to the strong cravings generated when one's unable to eat on schedule.

I never gained too much and it was easy to lose, never haviang to diet for long periods of time. I also only counted calories a couple of times. The time it became hardest was after I got swept by the low-fat tide and tried to apply that to my eating, which simply did not work and I started to gain. When I "discovered" Atkins in '94 I lost 14 lbs. and regained a figure I was very happy with. Afterwards I just tried to follow my hypoglycemia diet and only gained back a few lbs. because I ate too many starches. The story changed though when perimenopause and a lot of stress happened at the same time, I kept gaining a bit at a time. In '00 I was found hypothyroid and I'm presently within "normal" ranges and off meds, but on HRT which does have an impact on weight loss.

In view of the above, in my case it would not be reasonable to say a stall is due to "yo-yo" dieting. Other people may have other reasons, such as nutritional defficiencies and (the only point we agreed on) less than perfect health. Minor alterations to diet such as adding or subtracting a few carbs cannot really be called yo-yo dieting, and I don't care if Dr. Atkins himself said it. Like I said before, he's changed the story a few times already, if you don't believe me read the older books...