View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 17:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry Tomo, I missed this - combination of being away last week and being a little dizzy this weekend

The different cycles of BodyRx have differing goals - exercise and nutrition wise. The first Cycle aims at getting you used to eating adequate protein, more fiber and less carbs. Exercise wise you're working to build muscle. Lifting heavier with fewer sets and lifting to failure quicker leads to more fast muscle fiber recruitment and greater strength. This is intensified by the amount of carbs and protein you are eating. You are lifting and eating to bulk up. Cycle 2 has you decreasing carbs further and increasing fiber and protein; lifting is more reps and sets and less heavy with less time to rest between sets - you are trying to sculpt that muscle you grew in Cycle 1. Cycle 3 involves eating even more protein and fiber and a drastic cut in carbs (for anyone other than a LCer, that is). Reps are increased as are sets, this is the fat burning. By decreasing the time between sets you give the muscle less time to recover and you keep your heart rate higher. This cycle tends to be more aerobic.

If you've been working out for a while and have developed some muscle mass, and if you've been eating higher protein (higher than Atkins and the Protein Power minimum requirements) then going to cycle 3 wouldn't pose much of a problem for you, IMHO. However if you're new you might find eating 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight and 60g of fiber difficult. I would suggest easing into this by following the protein and fiber recommendations for the first 3 cycles and limiting your carbs as you see fit, while following the exercises as written.

I understand the desire to burn more fat in place of growing more muscle. It's the muscle that is needed to burn the fat - so you have to get some somehow. If you're not new to lifting then I don't see why you can't jump into Cycle 3.

Nat