View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 15:13

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I may have been too hasty in calling Fallon and the Weston A Price group "not in favor of low-carbing". I was simply struck by Fallon's defense of grains and starches in the diet. Cordain (and I haven't read his Paleo Diet yet, but I will--at which time I may have to revise this), but Cordain appears to state that grains and starches are forbidden in the Paleo Diet. This is also true for the Neanderthin diet. And Atkins. And Protein Power LifePlan Purist Plan.

This is because grains and starches were not used during the Paleolithic era as well as abundant evidence that grains cause autoimmune problems among other things. However, as some of us know, there are low-carb diets which do include grains. Protein Power Hedonist and Dilletante Plans, Schwarzbein Principle, Life Without Bread Plan to name a few.

The Weston A. Price organization seems to be in favor of high fat content in the diet as well as animal protein and against refined flour and sugar. This would qualify them as low-carb too although I think they refrain from using the term. They do stress the consumption of whole milk which does contribute a lot of carbs. They also appear to encourage the consumption of fermented grains and sour porridge in favor of cereal grains:
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._of_africa.html