View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I don't know where you heard that it's only "a little bit" of hydrogenated oil (maybe the makers of those brands?) and the comparison with meds side effects, well, let me tell you, they don't even list all of them and some can kill you if you ignore them...

If the hydrogen is enough to fill the fatty acid chains and turn it into trans saturated fat (which is what happens when the PB turns solid) it's TOO much. If you indeed don't eat it all the time and the rest of your diet is truly healthy, it's no worse than any other indulgence, which most of us have of one kind or another. If you're only seeking to lose weight, well, that's one thing, but it you want to do what's right for your body that's another and you don't have to "worry" about it when there's an healthier alternative. At most stores down here regular PB is about $1.39/18 oz., natural in the jar is $1.69, fresh in tubs $1.99/lb. not bad at all.

Maybe it seems too little to concern yourself with but remember that it all adds up and although you can't always see the effect right away it does catch up with you. For years I ate pretty much what I liked even though I was interested in nutrition and thought I was doing " pretty well" as I was skinny and seemingly healthy. Throw in a lot of stress, hormonal changes and now I'm neither and I wish I had started making better choices earlier in my life because at 49 I still feel (and look) too young to have the problems Ihave slowing me down!